The Majestic Theatre will offer Open-Captioned performances for the hearing impaired community for many of the Broadway in San Antonio series productions. This service will typically be offered during Sunday matinee performances. For Open Captioning dates and times for specific performances, please inquire at the Theatre Box Office. Productions without dialogue may not offer Open Captioning.
At performances presented with Open Captioning, the dialogue spoken or sung by the actors on stage is also displayed in green letters on a small digital screen that is located in front of one side section of the orchestra level. Scrolled manually in synchronization with the dialogue or singing on stage, the script is entered ahead of time; thus the captions appear with no time delays or transcription errors during the performance. The operator also has the capacity to edit the script in performance, should the words change as they are being performed.
Much like Closed Captioning for television programs, Open Captioning presents the spoken or sung portions, as well as sound effects, of the performance in a format accessible to deaf audience members who do not use American Sign Language or to patrons who may have difficulty hearing clearly.
This service may be useful for or of interest to
- People who are hard of hearing or deaf and use hearing aids, cochlear implants and assistive listening devices but do not rely on/understand sign language as a means of communication
- Sign language users who may prefer a literal translation of the text
- Persons who have developed gradual hearing loss with age
- Hearing audience members who might not catch rapid song lyrics, heavily accented dialogue, technical words or foreign phrases in a performance
- Children learning to read
- Individuals studying English as a second language.
To secure special seating featuring optimal views of the stage and captions, please call the Box Office at 210.226.3333 or Ticketmaster at 800.745.3000